This article explains how to use Customer.io to send learners notifications when they complete a course in your school. You can also send a notification to yourself after a learner completes a course.
1. In Customer.io, click Triggered in the left-hand menu. Click the Create Campaign button at the top right. Name your campaign and select Create Event Triggered Campaign.
2. Under 'Every time someone performs this event' select course_completed.
By default, the email is set to go to any learner who completes any course in your school. To limit the email to send only to learners in specific courses:
- Under 'Where the event data matches' type course_uuid.
- Select is equal to in the drop-down menu.
- In the third field, paste the course UUID. You can find the course UUID by logging into your Northpass account and going to the Apps > Configure next to Customer.io > copy the UUID next to the appropriate course.
3. Save and click Next: Workflow at the bottom right. Click Add your first email, name your email (e.g., Course Completion Email), and click Create Email.
Click on the email you just created to open it. Create the email you'd like to send. You can use customer variables to populate learner information, and event variables to populate course name, short description, and link to course cover page. Click here to learn more about the metadata sent.
If you'd like the email notification to be sent to the learner who triggers the event (e.g., any learner who completes the course), go directly to Step 4. If you'd like the notification email to be sent to someone other than the learner who triggers the email (e.g., to notify yourself when a learner completes a course), click Customize to the right of the 'To' field. Type the intended recipient's email address in the field.
Click Save Changes at the bottom right.
4. Click Done at the top right to return to the main email page. Above the email, click Edit to set up the sending rules. In this case, we selected No Delay and changed the email from Queue Draft to Send Automatically. This means the email will send automatically immediately after someone completes a course. Click Save Changes at the bottom right.
5. Click Next: Goal. This is an optional step where you can define conditions to measure your email campaign's success. Learn more here. Set up the goal or click Skip goal. Select Save changes at the bottom right.
6. Click Next: Review. Review the details of your email and click Start Campaign at the bottom.